CTC offers school groups the flexibility to reserve now and pay later!
We know that it’s a big responsibility to plan a field trip, so we try to keep it as simple as possible. Here’s the reservation process:
- Today: Choose your show and submit a Ticket Request Form.
- Six weeks before show: confirm numbers.
- Four weeks before show: submit payment.
- When you arrive: check in at the Ticket Office.
- Enjoy the show!
Other basics you’ll want to know:
- Priced affordably for school groups.
- All Weekday Student Matinee performances begin at 10:30am. Run times vary.
- Group Lead will receive reminders, invitation to Educator Preview Night, and important show details by email.
- Every Weekday Student Matinee performance features a brief (10- to 15-minute) Q & A with actors and crew members. Balloonacy features a chance to meet the actor and balloon after the show.
Weekday Student Matinee Ticketing Policies
- Submission of a Ticket Request Form is not a guarantee of a reservation. If CTC is able to accommodate your request, a Reservation Confirmation & Invoice will be sent via email within 4 weeks.
- If you do not receive a Reservation Confirmation & Invoice email after 4 weeks, please contact CTC’s School Engagement Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure your order went through.
- A minimum group size of 10 is required to make and maintain a reservation for a Weekday Student Matinee performance.
- All Student Matinee sales are final. Paid tickets cannot be refunded or exchanged.
- CTC does not provide refunds or exchanges for unused tickets. CTC does not provide refunds or vouchers for anyone absent on the day of performance.
- Tickets cannot be resold or given to anyone outside of your organization and cannot be resold for profit.
Final Numbers/Cancellation Deadline:
- You may drop seats from your reservation or cancel altogether until Final Numbers/Cancellation Deadline, six weeks prior to performance; unless payment has already been made.
- After Final Numbers/Cancellation deadline passes, you are responsible for payment for all seats in your reservation.
- Final numbers due immediately upon reservation if made within six weeks of performance.
- Payment is due four weeks prior to performance via check, credit card, or cash.
- Reservations unpaid upon deadline may be released at CTC’s discretion.
- Payment due immediately upon reservation if made within four weeks of performance.
- Returned ISF checks will be charged a service fee of $30. Future orders from that organization must be paid by credit card or cash.
CTC does not require a paid deposit to make Student Matinee reservations; however, groups that violate Final Numbers/Cancellation and/or Payment Deadlines may be required to make payment immediately upon reservation or lose Student Matinee eligibility.
Student Matinees are intended as an affordable educational opportunity for students and their educators. If you are looking for a family experience, please click here for tickets to our public performances.
Weather cancellation policy:
- CTC does not issue refunds if your school/district closes due to weather or fails to attend your scheduled performance for any reason.
- Refunds will be issued only if CTC cancels a performance. A Weekday Student Matinee performance will be canceled by 7:00 a.m. only if one of the following events has occurred:
- A state of emergency has been declared.
- CTC does not have power and/or heat.
- Minneapolis Public Schools have canceled school due to cold/weather.
- MNDOT has pulled plows off the road due to unsafe driving conditions.
- Metro Transit has suspended bus service due to unsafe driving conditions.
If a Weekday Student Matinee performance were canceled, CTC’s decision would be made by 7:00am. CTC's School Engagement Coordinator would make every effort to inform Group Lead at the email address and phone number provided in your original Ticket Request.
Reservations for Student Matinee performances are limited to educational groups of 10+.
Rush tickets are available to the public on the day of performance. These tickets are available beginning at 9:30 and can be purchased at the CTC Ticket Office. Rush tickets are $15 each and are first come first serve. While we cannot guarantee rush availability, we have found that they are available the majority of the time.
Please be aware of the following:
- Rush tickets are subject to availability. CTC is almost always able to accommodate a few rush tickets per Student Matinee performance, but cannot guarantee it as priority goes to school groups.
- It is unusual for school groups to check in with 100% attendance. For that reason, CTC is usually able to make some rush tickets available during the Check-In process, even for sold out performances.
- If you are a parent hoping to be seated with your child’s school group, CTC strongly recommends arriving at CTC before your child’s school is scheduled to arrive. Ushers do not save seats for anyone who is not present when a group is seated.
- If you want to know whether rush tickets are likely to be available, you are welcome to inquire a day or two before the performance you hope to attend by emailing email@example.com.
CTC offers a limited number of lunch space reservations for schools that come from a great distance, schools combining a trip to CTC with a trip to Mia, or schools that will miss lunch while at CTC.
The lunch space, located in our lobbies, allows for a picnic-style lunch on the floor. CTC does not provide tables, chairs, or refrigeration. Garbage cans are provided.
Lunch space reservation fee: $25 (nonrefundable)
Request lunch space when you request tickets by phone or online. Lunch reservations are limited to 250 people (Target Lobby)/115 people (Cargill Lobby) and are therefore not guaranteed for every group.
- No food or beverages are allowed in the theatre. (Please inform an usher if you or a student have a health concern.)
- Concessions are not available for purchase during Weekday Student Matinees.
- The lunch space is available for 45 minutes immediately following your performance.
- School groups must use the trash bins designated by the theatre to dispose of all trash before leaving the space.
- For the health and safety of people with severe allergies, please ask everyone in your party to pack a lunch that is nut free.
What time is the performance?
All Weekday Student Matinee performances begin at 10:30am
How long is the show?
Runtimes are subject to change throughout the rehearsal process as directors, designers, and actors start to tackle the script and material. Group Lead will receive an email with a more precise run time when that information becomes available for each production.
Anticipated run times for the 17-18 Season are below:Balloonacy: approximately 45 minutes with no intermission
Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas: approximately 1 hour and 50 minutes including intermission
The Wiz: approximately 2 hours including intermission
Corduroy: approximately 1 hour 30 minutes including intermission
Dr. Seuss’s The Lorax: approximately 2 hours including intermission
How much do tickets cost?
Thanks to grants and our generous donors, student matinee tickets are available at a significantly lower price than our public performances. Tickets start at $8-10 and are discounted even more for schools with 30% or more free and reduced lunch. Click here for a full breakdown of our prices.
When are the performances:
Student Matinee performances are designated for each show.
Reservations & Ticketing
Who can attend a Weekday Student Matinee?
K-12 educational groups can make a reservation for a Weekday Student Matinee performance at Children’s Theatre Company. Minimum group size is 10. Eligible groups include schools, homeschool co-ops and daycares.
I’d like to bring a school group. What should I do?
We know that it is a lot of work to plan a field trip, so we keep it as simple as possible. Here’s the reservation process:
- Today: Choose your show and submit a Ticket Request Form.
- Six weeks before show: confirm numbers.
- Four weeks before show: submit payment.
- When you arrive: check in at the Ticket Office.
Can I buy a ticket day of show?
Yes, if seats are available. Parents and other members of the public are welcome to purchase day-of-show rush tickets to Weekday Student Matinee performances. To purchase rush tickets, visit the CTC Ticket Office as early as 9:30am for the 10:30am performance. If tickets are available, they can be purchased as rush tickets for $15 each, first-come, first-served. Although rush availability is never guaranteed, CTC is almost always accommodate everyone who tries to purchase rush for Student Matinee performances.
Can we bring a homeschool group?
Absolutely! We welcome homeschool groups. We require a minimum group size of 10 to make a reservation, so most homeschool families attend as part of co-ops/organizations. If you’re not part of a co-op, consider attending with another homeschool family you know. Homeschool groups receive Student Matinee ticket prices up to a ratio of 1 adult ticket per 1 student ticket.
We’re a homeschool family of fewer than 10. Can we come?
We require a minimum group of 10 to make a reservation, but you are welcome to purchase day-of-show rush tickets to a Student Matinee performance. To purchase rush tickets, visit the CTC Ticket Office as early as 9:30am for the 10:30am performance. If seats are available, they can be purchased as rush tickets for $15 each on first come, first served basis.
Why do you require a minimum group size of 10?
By requiring a minimum group size of 10, we ensure fuller houses allowing us to continue to offer heavily discounted ticket prices to school groups. Groups of fewer than 10 are welcome to purchase rush tickets or to make reservations for evening/weekend public performances.
How many chaperones can we bring?
We recommend a ratio of 1 adult per 15 students. We understand that some students require more help and supervision than others, and for that reason, you are welcome to bring up to a ratio of 1 adult per 5 students. Adult tickets in excess of a 1:5 ratio are at an additional cost reflective of price without subsidy support. Click here to determine how many adults you can bring with our ticket calculator. (Exceptions granted for Special Education/medical support staff.)
Can we add tickets to our order?
Additional tickets are always subject to availability. Group Lead may add students to your reservation at any time. Payment due upon reservation if made after order is paid or within four weeks of performance. You may not add parent chaperones to your order after Payment Deadline. Parents who were not included may purchase rush tickets, subject to availability.
Day of Show Experience
Can we meet the actors?
Most Weekday Student Matinee performance features a brief (10- to 15-minute) “Post-Show Artist Talk Back” with actors and crew members. Balloonacy actor and crew will greet the students as they leave instead of a full talkback given the nature of this performance.
Can we get a backstage tour?
We are occasionally able to offer backstage tours. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Can we eat lunch there?
Yes, subject to availability. You may request to reserve lunch space following your performance. Groups may also utilize the outdoor courtyard between CTC and Mia. For more details on lunch space reservations, please see Lunch Space Policies.
Will the concession stand or gift shop be open?
No. The concession stand and gift shop are closed during all Weekday Student Matinee performances. If you’ll need snacks, please plan accordingly as there is nowhere to purchase snacks in close proximity to CTC.
Day of Show Logistics
Where do I go when we arrive?
School buses may pull into the driveway on Third Avenue. Group lead should check in at the Ticket Office window. After the Group Lead checks in, you will be directed to the United Health Group Stage or the Cargill Stage.
How does Check In work?
Check In begins at 9:30am at the CTC Ticket Office window. Your entire school group must be present before you check in. Group Lead must provide a final head count of adults and students present day of show to receive a Check-In Pass. After Group Lead receives the Check-In Pass, you will be directed to the lobby where Group Lead will give the Check-In Pass to the usher to be added to the seating queue.
How does seating work?
- Seating begins at approximately 10:00am.
- Group Lead gives Check-In Pass to the usher to be added to the seating queue.
- Your entire group must be present to be seated. Seats cannot be saved.
- Seating for Weekday Student Matinees is assigned by CTC ushers in order of group arrival. We cannot guarantee that families or friends within your group will be seated side-by-side as your group may be split between rows.
- Please take the seats that are assigned to you by the ushers. You can rearrange seating within your group after it is confirmed that everyone has a seat.
- Late arrivals will be seated at the discretion of CTC management.
Can my group sit together?
Seating for Weekday Student Matinees is assigned by CTC ushers in order of group arrival. We do our best to keep groups together, but we cannot guarantee that families or friends within your group will be seated side-by-side as your group may be split between rows. Please be prepared to take the seat assigned to you by the usher. After your entire group is seated, you are welcome to rearrange yourselves as needed.
Does everyone in my group need a ticket?
Yes. At Children’s Theatre Company, all patrons, regardless of age, are required to have a ticket (including infants). Lap passes are available for students under 3 years old for shows on our United Health Group Stage (Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Wiz, and The Lorax) and available for students under 18 months for Balloonacy. Due to fire code and capacity, we are unable to provide lap passes for Corduroy. Lap passes are $5 and can be purchased on the day of the performance. For more information, please see our Lap Seat Policy page.
What if there is a snowstorm?
During inclement weather, allow extra travel time. CTC does not cancel or delay performances due to weather. No refunds or exchanges will be made if your school group is unable to attend your scheduled performance for any reason. A refund will be offered only if Children’s Theatre Company cancels a performance. For details on Cancellation & Refund Policies, please refer to the Weekday Student Matinee Ticketing Policies that govern all Student Matinee performance sales.
Children's Theatre Company is committed to ensuring that field trips are successful for all students. To help us do so, please indicate any special needs such as visual or hearing impairments, mobility limitations, sensory sensitivities etc. in your ticket request form or contact us at email@example.com or 612.872.5166.
Audio Description/American Sign Language Student Matinee performances:
Balloonacy AD performance is on Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 10:30am
Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas ASL/AD performance is on Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 10:30am
The Wiz ASL/AD performance is on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 10:30am
Corduroy ASL/AD performance is on Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 10:30am
Dr. Seuss’s The Lorax ASL/AD performance is on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 10:30am
Accessibility for Deaf and Hard of Hearing:
American Sign Language interpreted student matinee performances are available. Please let us know if you plan on utilizing these services. Both the United Health Group and Cargill Stages are equipped with Assistive Listening Devices (ALD) for students who require additional audio support in performances.
Children’s Theatre Company’s performance spaces, classrooms, and restrooms are accessible according to ADA guidelines. Please note that the balconies in the UnitedHealth Group Stage are NOT accessible by an elevator. The UnitedHealth Group Stage wheelchair seating is in Row O the Cargill Stage wheelchair seating is in Row A. Accessible restrooms are located in the Target and Cargill Lobby. If you or a student requires wheelchair seating, please make note in your reservation or email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can better serve you.
Accessibility for the Visually Impaired:
Audio Described student matinee performances are available. CTC is happy to reserve seats close up for students with visual impairments. Touch tours available upon request.
Accessibility for Sensory Processing Sensitivities:
Students are welcome to enjoy the show however they see fit (moving, reacting, vocalizing etc) however we understand that sometimes the theatre experience may be a sensory overload for some students. Students are welcome to bring fidgets, manipulatives, or support objects. Noise cancelling headphones are available upon request. Both United Health Group and Cargill Lobbies have a live feed monitor that allow students to watch from the lobby if needed. United Health Group has a quiet room that allows students to hear and see the play with a separation from the audience.
Click here for the Social Story for UHG Stage
Click here for the Social Story for the Cargill Stage
If you have any questions about any of our access services or need an accommodation not mentioned above, please contact School Engagement Coordinator at email@example.com or 612.872.5166.
Homeschool groups of 10+ are welcome to make reservations for student matinee performances. Groups under 10 can get $15 rush tickets on the day of the performance (depending upon availability) or purchase tickets for a public show. CTC offers several low-cost options for public performances. Click here for more information about ways to save at CTC.
Homeschool group leaders, please be aware of the following information:
- Minimum group size is 10.
- Groups of fewer than 10 are welcome to purchase $15 rush tickets, but cannot make advanced reservations.
- Homeschool groups receive Student Matinee ticket prices up to a ratio of 1 adult ticket per 1 student ticket.
- Homeschool groups are subject to Student Matinee ticketing policies.
Homeschool group eligibility:
- Homeschool group reservations should include only homeschool students and their primary educators. It is considered an abuse of the Student Matinee program to include anyone who is not involved with your homeschool education. Groups that violate this policy risk losing homeschool group eligibility.
- Family/friends who are not immediately involved in your homeschool education are welcome to purchase rush tickets, but cannot be included in your reservation.
- CTC defines eligible homeschool groups as those registered with their local school district in compliance with state statutes. Homeschool groups must be able to provide documentation (e.g. Compulsory Instruction Report) upon request.
Children’s Theatre Company is located next door to the Minneapolis Institute of Art. Interested in booking a tour or self-guided visit at the Minneapolis Institute of Art on the same day as your CTC performance? After you receive your performance date, contact Mia to schedule your tour. All school groups wishing to visit Mia must have a reservation. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
with any questions.
to request a Mia Tour.