Led by Artistic Director Peter C Brosius and Managing Director Kimberly Motes, Children’s Theatre Company (CTC) is the world’s leading theatre for young people and their families and is one of the 20 largest producing theatres in the United States. A winner of the regional Tony Award, CTC creates extraordinary theatre experiences that educate, challenge and inspire young people. It has set standards of excellence in the quality of its productions, commitment to new work, and innovative education and community partnerships.
As a national leader in the field of theater for young audiences, Children’s Theatre Company is dedicated to increasing diversity and inclusion in our audiences, our programs, and in all of our hiring for staff, artists, and recruiting of board members. CTC is committed to a future when our theatre is a home for all people, all families, reflective of our community.
Information on Internships can be found here.
Position Title: CARPENTER/DRAFTSPERSON
Reports to: Technical Director
The Carpenter/Draftsperson works in the scene shop producing the scenic elements for all CTC productions and drafts construction drawings to be used by the carpenters/welders to build and install scenic elements.
- Drafting: Working knowledge of AutoCAD 2010 and theatrical drafting.
- Carpentry: Framing, finishing and detail work.
- Welding: MIG process, gas cutting and brazing.
- Sculpting: Foam and woodcarving, texture work.
- Stitching: Drops, layout, cutting and sewing of fabric.
- Rigging:Cable make-up, maintenance, hanging of scenery, special projects.
- Load-in: Installation of scenery, and storage.
- Electrical/mechanical: Build and/or repair of general theatre equipment.
- 3 years or more of experience in regional theater or commercial scenery production, or a combination of equivalent experience and training.
- Working knowledge of basic scenic carpentry, welding, rigging, sewing, hydraulics, pneumatics, and theatrical automation including the following tools and their accessories: radial arm saw, table saw, band saw, cold saw, planer, jointer, drill press, miter box, wood lathe, router, sanders, MIG welding equipment, sewing machine, electrical and pneumatic power hand tools.
- Proficient in AutoCAD 2010 or later, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Working knowledge of standard theatrical construction drafting techniques.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Knowledge of safe work practices to reduce the risk of injury.
- Requires flexibility, creative problem solving skills, clear communication skills, and the ability to build positive working relationships.
Seasonal full time hourly. Includes comprehensive benefits plan. Position included in collective bargaining agreement with IATSE Local 13, AFL-CIO
Position open until filled. Start date flexible.
To apply, email letter of interest and resume, in pdf format, with “Carpenter/Draftsperson” in the subject line to
Ellen Baker, Production Manager, at email@example.com
We are committed to diversity in the workforce and are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in any employment decision on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, religion, age, marital or veteran’s status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by local, state or federal law. We do require a full background check for all of our employees.